BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 3, 2009

A Few Views of Chiapas

I had to include some of my favorite photos of Canon del Sumidero, our very first stop in Chiapas. The Canon (or canyon in English- sorry but I can't seem to be able to add accent marks and the first n in canon is missing a tilda, that little squiggly mark that makes it sound like a 'y') is located in Chiapa de Corzo, the first little pueblo that we went to. So we all got into these little boats and took an hour-long ride throughout the canyon and some of it was really breathtaking. I wasn't too crazy about seeing this crocodile up close and out in nature but luckily he/she didn't come after me (I knew it just couldn't wait to attack me and eat me- that's a nice irrational fear that I share with some of my sisters). Anyways, it was a great start for my trip to Chiapas and I cannot wait to post more from the trip!!















The first few of these pics are from San Cristobal de las Casas, one of the main towns in Chiapas that the EZLN (Ejercito Zapatista de la Liberacion Nacional) took control of during their uprising on January 1st, 1994, the day that NAFTA went into effect. I really liked San Cristobal; the weather was rather mild compared to other places in Chiapas and I really liked the church on the main square. We only had a few hours here in the afternoon before we had to get to sleep and be up and ready to go the next morning. I hope that I can someday go back and spend more time there. I also included a few pics of the Cascadas (Waterfalls) in El Chiflon. They were really pretty and the one that I am standing in front of was by far the biggest and longest one as it dropped from far above where we were.


































Here are some pics from Comitan, a beautiful little pueblo found in the heart of Chiapas. I thought that the yellow church was rather unique and the buildings surrounding the zocalo of Comitan were also pretty and different. And I included another few pics from Laguna Montebello. Chiapas is a very beautiful state and the greenest one that I have seen in Mexico. There are so many forests and jungles and the landscape is basically all green, including the surrounding hills and mountains.

























































And here are a few more images from Chiapas. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself at the Guatemala border, crossing illegally and enjoying every minute of it. It really makes me want to actually visit Guatemala but I found the experience quite amusing. A few of these pictures are of the borderlands between Guatemala and Chiapas and one of the photos is from Laguna Montebello, a beautiful place found in the dense forests of Chiapas (where else?) that has many lagunas.






































































2 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

Oh, how beautiful!! And what a scary croc...that thing looked huge. Well, now you can say you've been to Guatemala. You look great in the pictures and Mom and Dad told me more about your trip. I'm glad you had such a great time and all the pictures are just beautiful.

Jared and Kelly said...

HOW GORGEOUS! Can it possibly be that I get more and more envious with each posting? That was such a great picture of that croc!