BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 25, 2011

Campeche on a Sunday Morning

Here are a few pictures from around the centro of Campeche (Aj Kim Pech in Maya which means "Lord Sun Sheep-Tick"). Campeche was first approached by the Spaniards in 1517 but were met with a lot of resistance by the Maya. Colonial Campeche was founded in 1531 but later abandoned due to Maya hostility. But by 1540, the Spaniards had gained sufficient control to set up permanent residence and named the town "Villa de San Francisco de Campeche." I've included a picture of the Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion which has stood on the same spot for over three centuries with statues of St. Paul and St. Peter occupying niches in the facade. I realize now that I have better pictures from walking around the city today but I'll post those later. I only have one more full day left here in Campeche; tomorrow I go to Edzna and the archaeological museum. But Sunday morning I took a nice long stroll around the Plaza Principal and the Malecon of Campeche.



































































So I have tried and tried to post a video-clip that I have of this "ballet folklorico" that I saw on Sunday morning but blogger just isn't uploading the video. Anyways, these pictures will just have to do for the moment. I heard some music coming from speakers outside of this building so I decided to check it out. Entrance for the performance was free, which is always great (especially for us students!), and I really enjoyed this dance troupe's performances of regional Mexican dances. I saw a similar show in Valladolid but I had forgotten my camera. This was a great Sunday morning activity and one that I was able to share with a bunch of other people.




























































I then ended up walking down the Malecon (the sidewalk right next to the ocean for cyclists and people who are walking or running) for about as long as I could tolerate! It was so hot and humid that I was sweating within a few minutes of leaving the theater. I really liked this mosaic mural on the front of the government building here in Campeche. And I, of course, had to include a few pictures of the ocean. It was a nice introduction to this picturesque (even without beaches) city of Campeche.




1 comments:

Jared and Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! Ok, that cathedral is amazing. And what luck to happen upon the dancers! I absolutely love the dresses on the ladies. What with all the heat and humidity I'm surprised that you didn't just go ahead and take a stroll in the ocean! :)