BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Snapshots of Level 2

I love being in Level 2 this year because there are only three students. Because our class is so small, Ismael, our "profe" (our native Maya instructor), was able to bring us to his friend Yoli's house for a traditional Maya dinner. Although I am vegetarian, Yoli was, of course, so accommodating and made me my very own panuchos (the round, fried tortillas with avocado, beans, onion, lettuce and cheese). They were absolutely delicious! Plus, as we all sat down to eat, we were able to practice our Maaya T'aan (literally "Maya Speech"). Yoli also made tamales wrapped in chaya, an autochthonous evergreen shrub of Yucatan that people in Yucatan use like spinach (the tamale was veggie but it had eggs and a bean paste, which I did not really like, but I love chaya!!). And we also had homemade horchata which, in small amounts (for me), is delicious! I'm not sure why, but I just previewed this blog entry and it has been split up (my pictures and commentary should not be divided the way it is!!) so continue reading to find out about the dessert we had that night.


So this is where I study every day (Monday-Friday) from 9am until 1pm. Our second level consists of me, Laura, and Cate. Our instructor, Ismael, has such presence in the classroom and I have learned so much from him already in the two weeks that I've been here. The building we are in is part of the UNAM system here in Merida, Yucatan. The building, I have been told, is of the "Neo-Maya" architectural style. Anyways, I love the air conditioning in this building! I also thought that I would include a picture of this young guy on the bus I take to school and then again back home. I've only seen him once, but I must say that his voice was completely incredible! I cannot believe his talent! So I told him that and gave him twenty pesos (which, of course, was the reason he came onto the bus: sing a few songs and then hopefully get some money from all of us. And he certainly deserved more than we all gave him).




 Emily, this year's director of the program, came with our class to enjoy the meal and conversation. Emily has the red hair, then there's Laura, Cate, and our Maya teacher, Ismael May May. For dessert, we had "k'oopte'" (I don't remember it's name in Spanish), and it was so yummy! After you eat the fruit dipped in honey, there is an added bonus: the seed inside the fruit actually contains another, smaller seed, that is seriously so good!! It's a small seed, but it was absolutely scrumptious! I love being here in Mexico, meeting people like Yoli (an urban Maya woman of Merida) and her hospitable family. What a great evening of speaking Maaya and eating such tasty treats!



1 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

The food talk is leaving me hungry!