BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

These are the steps to the church La Senora de los Remedios. And to get to this point we had to walk up this paved side of the pyramid and it's quite the workout. I added a few other photos of the church and it's very impressive. It isn't as big as I thought it was going to be and I still feel uncomfortable taking pictures inside churches (they allow it as long as you don't use a flash) but I'll just keep those images of the inside of the church inside my own mind. The bottom picture is of a church that the Spaniards built using the stones of a minor pyramid after they destroyed it. I don't think the Spaniards of the sixteenth century (and the two centuries after that) really appreciated indigenous religions.



So here is the great Popocatepetl, one of the many volcanoes found here in Mesoamerica. You can actually see smoke coming out of the top because Popocatepetl (say that 10x fast) is still an active volcano. I took this picture from the street just beyond our fraccionamiento (neighborhood) and had to zoom in just a bit but on a clear day you can witness this great majestic addition to the landscape of Cholula and Puebla. But of course, when I went up to La Iglesia de la Senora de los Remedios, it was extremely overcast and you could not view Popocatepetl. Also, here is a picture of the church and you can see the different layers of the great pyramid of Quetzalcoatl just below.


2 comments:

The Clark Family said...

Bryan, those are amazing pictures! I miss you so much and you sound so scholarly already! That's what a masters does for you. JK you were always so smart. Um, I just remembered the ipod thing I will get Ryan on it right away. What an amazing place you live in, I wish we could visit!

The Pierce Family said...

What a beautiful church...Dad told me about your upcoming trips. Boy, I continue to be jealous of your experiences. I'm glad you're doing well and I really miss you.