BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Museo de Cholula

So my friend Paloma and I went to the Museo de Cholula (which isn't really the name of the museum but I forget its true name). It's kind of small but interesting. I took a picture of the church from the zocalo because I never noticed it from this perspective before. Anyways, the museum perpetuates certain myths and presents an image of Cholula that it wants to project to visitors. I'm not saying that it contains all myth and no true history, but it is fascinating how one can extrapolate history from myth and present it as fact. But some of the displays were so interesting and I could see myself working in a museum enviornment (it would just depend on what kind of museum it was).


These, as you can see, are some ceramics that are over two thousand years old. Also I thought that I would include the image of La Virgen de Guadalupe, nuestra patrona (hee-hee; I'm not Catholic but her story or rather her myth here in Mexico is so strong and prevalent; people truly believe in her and her power to help and heal. It fascinates me. Some images of her have much darker skin and demonstrate the indigenous acceptance of nuestra senora guadalupana).



Here are just a few of the images of some of the sculptures that the ancient cholutecos made. It always amazes me to be in a country where civilizations existed thousands of years ago. Some artifacts in the museum are from 2000bce (like four thousand years old!!); absolutely amazing. I like the skulls of Mictlantecuhtli, the god of death. Also, Ehecatl is the god of wind, also sometimes associated with Quetzalcoatl (the bottom statue that has his arms folded on his knees is Ehecatl).




From the balcony of the second floor of the museum one can view the "arcos" of the zocalo of San Pedro Cholula. Also, from the courtyard of the museum, you can view the church which is right next to the museum. It's a common and diffused myth that Cholula has more than 365 churches so you can go to a different church every day of the year. It isn't true but there are a ton of churches here in Cholula.




1 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

Bryan, you're awesome! I love all these pictures because it makes me feel like I've been there. You'll have to fill me in on some of they myths the museum presents...I would love to know.