BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day(s) of the Dead

I love these days in Oaxaca!! Day(s) of the Dead is unique to Mexico (even though there is speculation about this kind of celebration of death and the dead in other countries as well). It was a privilege to be able to spend a second year in a row in Oaxaca (the name Oaxaca comes from the Nahuatl word 'Huaxyacac' which means 'in the nose of the squash') for Day of the Dead. There was so much going on during the nights of the 31st of October and the 1st of November. I love the imagery and the iconography that Mexicans utilize during these special days when the spirits of the dead walk among us in our physical realm (or so it is believed). It was a pleasure to spend four days here and hopefully I will be returning next year (we'll see). I know that there are other places in Mexico that I'm sure I would love just as much as Oaxaca for Day of the Dead, but Oaxaca will always have a special place in my heart.















These are some images from the governor's palace in the centro of Oaxaca (I think). I love the altars that are set up all over the city and every one of them is unique. The orange flower used (marigold in English) is called 'cempasuchil'. That flower, along with a very pinkish-red flower called 'cresta de gallo' (I don't know its name in English) is used everywhere, in everything that represents Day of the Dead. In Spanish it is the 'flor de muerte' or flower of the dead (of death).







































On the 31st of October, we went to the Panteon San Miguel and the Panteon Xoxocotlan, just as I did last year. I just love seeing soooo many people at these cemeteries; people really do believe that during these three days (Oct.31st, Nov 1-2) the spirits of those that have died are physically present in our world, affecting our lives and our decisions (more than usual because they do believe that the dead walk among us during the whole year). Death, for those that live in Mexico, isn't invisible or ignored. Death is something that is tangible, real and part of everyday life here in Mexico. Garcia Lorca, upon visiting Mexico, said that only Mexico could walk hand-in-hand with Spain in terms of how the Mexican people viewed death; death is mocking us, making fun of us and is ever-present in these cultures of Mexico and that fascinates me. Death is the mirror of life and vice-versa.















































All over the city of Oaxaca, shops and art galleries set up tapetes, displays and decorations to celebrate Day of the Dead. Mexico is a very colorful country but I am so impressed by the array of color used during these specific days of festivities. Some of these images can be scary so viewer discretion is advised.

















































































Since I have decided to do an entry on Day of the Dead as I experienced it (really Days of the Dead) in Oaxaca, I wanted to show these 'tapetes' that are made of colored sand and some are extremely large and an entire area of four to six blocks of the centro of Oaxaca was used to set up the tapetes. The colors are brilliant and there were so many! I really loved being able to spend this unique holiday in Oaxaca for the second year in a row.








































































2 comments:

tricia said...

those are unbelievable! so beautiful. i love the colors and the costumes! what an awesome thing to be a part of! great pics bry.

The Pierce Family said...

I remember David and I arriving at our hotel in Mexico on Day of the Dead and how cool it was to see all the altars, skeletons, etc. But this blows what we saw away! I love all the pictures and what an experience!