BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 7, 2008

Oaxaca and Monte Alban

I just love the city of Oaxaca (as many of you already know). There is a lot of poverty here but the people have such alegria and are very friendly. I absolutely love the weather and while I was here it was nearly perfect. I am very interested in Oaxaca, its people and cultures. The state of Oaxaca has the highest number of indigenous groups and languages (16 groups and many, many languages) in Mexico. I cannot wait to return and learn more about this beautiful region and people(s).















Oaxaca is such a beautiful city and I still have so many things that I want to do there. I guess I will just have to keep going back and spending more time there. The church is actually the Basilica de la Soledad found within minutes of walking from the zocalo. It's really big and well known for the facade; it has different figures of Saints carved into the front.







































Monte Alban was founded at about 600BCE so it is one of the oldest sites in Mesoamerica (although there are several that are older). Monte Alban is special because it is believed to be the first actual "city" of Mesoamerica. A planned community came into being here at about 500BCE and by 200BCE, there were more than 17,000 people. It is also the site recognized as containing the first writing in Mesoamerica. First established and occupied by the Zapotecs and then later by the Mixtecs, Monte Alban is a unique site that sits atop a ridge in the Valley of Oaxaca and you can view the entire surrounding areas from its heights.













































So here I am in front of "Los Danzantes" or "The Dancers". Over 300 of these sculptures have been found at Monte Alban and some were used at different building periods as steps. Many scholars now believe that these "dancers" are actually sacrificial victims; their eyes are shut as if the individuals are in a trance. Many of these sculptures contain glyphs, possibly the individual's name but we cannot read the glyphs. I have also included a few other pictures of more of the buildings at Monte Alban.












































Here are some more photos of Monte Alban and the view from atop Monte Alban. I had a great time and truly enjoy visiting these ancient sites. There is also a picture of the ball court at Monte Alban; it's kind of small but interesting.




















































I absolutely love Oaxaca; its people, the streets, the general atmosphere of friendly faces and beautiful skies. I cannot wait until I can go back. Here are just a few more images of the Oaxaca that I love.








































































3 comments:

tricia said...

-A-M-A-Z-I-N-G- pictures bry! i enjoy so much seeing the beautiful colors of such an incredible place...i am glad i can (in some way) be a part of your travels. :)

The Clark Family said...

You are becoming quite the photographer. The place is really beautiful, I will have to see it someday. (I probably wrote this comment for another post but I really lack originality, sorry!) I miss you and am so glad you are having such a wonderful time.

Pierce Family said...

What gorgeous pictures! Oh, how I wish I could join you on some of these adventures. Get back, green monster!